Chief Joint Replacement Surgeon
Dr Bhende is one of the leading joint replacement surgeons in India with an immense experience exclusively in the field of Arthroplasty spanning over 20 years. He has till date performed over 10,000 Knee Replacement surgeries majority of them being Computer Assisted surgeries using Navigation systems which helps to achieve perfection and Zero error in placement of Implanted Artificial Knee.
- Centre for Joint Replacement Surgery-Laud Clinic, Dadar
- Shushrusha Citizens Co-operative Hospital Ltd. Dadar
- Breach Candy Hospital, Cumballa Hills
- Hinduja Healthcare Surgical, Khar
- S.R.Mehta-Cardiac Surgery Hospital, Sion
Fellowship in Joint Replacement Surgery, Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, USA with Dr.C.S Ranawat. August 1997 to July 1998.
MCh.Orth. University of Liverpool, Dec., 1996
Fellowship of ASIF (AO) at Solothum, Switzerland and Hannovar, Germany. June-August 1992.
D.N.B (Ortho.) National Board of Examination, New Delhi, Oct.1989
M.S.Ortho., University of Bombay. Nov.1988
D.Orth., College of Physicians & Surgeons, Bombay 1988.
M.B.B.S. Bombay University., Dec.1984
- President –Indian Arthroplasty Association (IAA), 2014-15
- Vice President, Bombay Orthopaedic Society, 2016 – 17
- Founder Member–Indian Society of Hip & Knee Surgeons (ISHKS)
- Indian Orthopaedic Association (Life Member)
- Maharashtra State Orthopaedic Association (Life Member)
- Bombay Orthopaedic Society (Life Member)
- Maharastra State Orthopaedic Association (Life Member)
Full Registration with Indian Medical Council (Maharashtra State).
Full Registration with G.M.C (General Medical Council) of United Kingdom.
- Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, USA, 01.08.1997 to 31.07.1998. Clinical Fellow (Adult Joint Reconstruction Surgery)
- Burgerspitaal Solothum, Switzerland and Medinische Hochschule, Hannover, Germany, July 1992 to October 1992. A.O.Clinical Fellow in Trauma Surgery.
- Bangor Hospital (Ysbyty Gwynedd), U.K. 25.2.1997 to 25.04.1997. Staff Surgeon (Orthopaedics)
- Ormskirk General Hospital, Ormskirk, UK 06.02.1996 to 06.02.1997. Registrar / Sr.S.H.O (Orthopaedics)
- Morriston General Hospital, Swansea, U.K., 01.08.1995 to 05.02.1996. Registrar / Sr.S.H.O (Orthopaedics)
- West Wales General Hospital, Carmathen, U.K. 01.08.1994 to 31.07.1995. Registrar/Sr.S.H.O (Orthopaedics)
- Morriston General Hospital, Swansea, U.K. 01.08.1993 to 31.07.1994. Registrar / Sr.S.H.O (Orthopaedics)
Consulting Orthopaedic Surgeon 1998 till date
- Laud Clinic-180, Hindu Colony, Dadar, Mumbai-14.
- Shushrusha Citizens Co-op.Hospital Ltd., Mumbai
- Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai.
- Hinduja Healthcare, Khar, Mumbai
Visiting Lecturer-College of Physicians & Surgeons, Mumbai.
Lecturer (Orthopaedics)-Lokmanya Tilak Medical College & Municipal Hospital, Mumbai. June 1990 to July 1993.
Lecturer (Orthopaedics) – R.N.Cooper Hospital & Seth G.S.Medical College, Mumbai. Jan.190 to May 1990.
Casualty Medical Officer (Accident & Emergency) King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai – 01.8.89-31.12.1989.
Examiner for National board of examination, DNB (Orthopaedics) ,Pune 2015.
Clinical measurement of varus-valgus deformity after supracondylar fracture of the humerus. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. Bhende, H. (1994). British volume. 76. 329-30.
Total condylar knee replacement: A 20-year followup study. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. Rodriguez, Jose A & Bhende, H & Ranawat, C. (2001). 10-7. 10.1097/00003086-200107000-00004.
Correction of limb-length inequality during total hip arthroplasty. The Journal of arthroplasty. Ranawat, Chitranjan & Rao, Rajesh & Rodriguez, Jose & Bhende, Harish. (2001). 16. 715-20. 10.1054/arth.2001.24442.
Knee Arthroplasty in Vascular Malfunction”-Case presentation & discussion – Indian Journal of Orthopaedics – Bhende HS et al.
Total knee arthroplasty in vascular malformation. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics. Bhende, Harish & Laud, Nanadkishore & Deore, Sandeep & Shashidhar, V. (2015). 569. 10.4103/0019-5413.164049.
The INDUS knee prosthesis – Prospective multicentric trial of a posteriorly stabilized high-flex design: 2 years follow-up. Indian journal of orthopaedics. Sancheti, Kantilal : Laud, Nandu ; Bhende, Harish ; Reddy, Gurava ; Pramod, Neema ; Mani, Joseph. (2009). 43. 367-74. 10.4103/0019-5413.55976.
“Revision Total Hip arthroplasty with Bicontact Hip System- Indian Experience”- NS Laud , Harish Bhende :, Chapter in “The Bicontact Hip Arthroplasty System- 1987-2007” Ed Siegfried Weller et al, Thieme Verlag, Stutgard, 2008.
“Test of Time : All Poly Tibia – Relevance Today” – NS Laud & Harish Bhende : Chapter in “Total Knee Replacement : Trends” Ed SKS Marya, Elsevier Publications 2009.
“Soft Tissue Balancing in Total Knee Arthroplasty” -Harish Bhende; Chapter 344.4, Textbook of Orthopaedic and Trauma, Ed. G S Kulkarni, Shushrut Babhulkar, Jaypee Brothers Publications, 2016.
“Coxofemoral Bypass‘ Chapter-12 -: Primary Prosthetic Replacement for Comminuted Intertrochanteric Fractures in the Elderly. Laud, NS & Bhende, Harish. (2016). 5005/jp/books/12809_13.
“Correction of Fixed Flexion Deformity in Total Knee arthroplasty” -Harish Bhende, Alex M, P Pawar, Chapter in “Complex Primary Total knee Arthroplasty” – Ed SKS Marys, Thiem medical publishers, India, 2017
“Constraints in Total Knee Replacement” – Harish Bhende, Alex M, Mandar Shah, Chapter in “Complex Primary Total knee Arthroplasty” – Ed SKS Marys, Thiem medical publishers ,India, 2017
“Complications of Segmental Cement Extraction system for Revision Hip Replacement surgery” – Presented to the “Welsch Ohopaedic Society meeting, Swansea,UK, January ,1995.
“Non-Cemented Total Hip Replacement for Avascular necrosis of Hip” Accepted at the Eastern Orthopaedic conference, USA, October, 1998.
“Recreational Sports Activity after Total Joint Replacement surgery: Comparison of THR and TKR”. – Eastern Orthopaedic Conference, USA, Oct.1998.
- All Data from 1999 to 2010 Not Included due to paucity of place.
- Conducted “National Arthroplasty Program”, the First of its kind to train orthopaedic surgeons from all over India in the art of Hip and Knee Arthroplasty surgery. This was a week long program with lectures, Bone Model Demonstrations and Actual live surgical experience in the operation theatre. Between 2000 to 2006 , 25 courses were conducted with more than 250 orthopaedic surgeons all across India have taken training in Arthroplasty.
- Three “International Arthropasty Courses” conducted in 2004, 2005 and 2006, when delegate orthopaedic surgeons from Vietnam, Bangladsh, ShriLanka, Thailand, Indonesia and Nepal were trained in the art of Knee and Hip Arthroplasty.
- 26-29 Dec, 2008 WIROC, Hip and Knee Symposia, Invited Faculty for Lecture and Moderation of Symposium
- 1-3 OCT, 2009 IAACON , GOA. Organizing Secretary. Speaker “TKR in Severe FFD”,”Coxo-Femoral Bypass for Communited Inter-trochanteric Fracture Neck Femur”.
- 9-11 April 2010 ISHKS National congress, Ahamedabad. Panelist -“How Do I Do the Primary THR – the 1-2-3 of basics”, Moderator “Current Issues in THR – How to be in the Safe Zone ?”
- 12-15 Nov 2010 WIROC, Lecture and Faculty at the Arthroplasty Symposium, conducted at KEMH and Faculty at Symposium On Locking Plates at D. Y. Patil Medical college – “Peri-Prosthetic fractures – treatment”
- 8-10 April, 2011 ISHKS National Congress, Bengaluru. Speaker –“Limb Length Inequality – Real and Apparent”, Anchor –“Video demonstrations in knee Arthroplasty”
- 14-15 OCT, 2011 IAACON, Hyderabad, Speaker “Revision TKR – Indian Scenario”, Moderator “ Basic Sciences in arthroplasty”
- 30-31 Dec, 2011 WIROC, Faculty at Symposium Debate – “against – the Ceramic on Ceramic in THR “; Moderator for Arthroplasty Paper session.
- 13-15 April, 2012 ISHKS National Congress, Hyderabad. Speaker “ Making sense of Bearing options”, “Anterior-Posterior Referencing – A fine Balance”, Panel Discussion -“Difficult Cases In Knee Arthroplasty”
- 23-25 NOV 2012 IAACON, Kolkata, Speaker “ Revision THR-Contemporary options -Rebuild, Reinforce or Augment”, “Residual Flexion deformity in TKR”, ”Trochanteric Slide and TENT approach for Revision THR”, Panel Discussion “Controversies in THR”, Debate – Defending “All Poly Tibial component- Here to Stay !”.
- 28-30 Dec , 2012 WIROC, Convener and Faculty for Symposium – “Newer Frontiers in Joint Replacement Surgery : TKR and THR”. Conducted WIROC Road-show -for “Demonstration of Revision TKR Implants – MTB Revision, Gription Cups and Sleeves and Stem”
- 26-28 April,2013 ISHKS National Congress, Kolkata.Speaker – “Two Stage Revision in TKR”, Panel Discussion –“Non-Arthroplasty Options for Knee arthritis”
- 29-31 Dec 2013 WIROC , Faculty for “Unhappy Patient after TKR” – “ Doctor, my knee is too tight – Post op Stiffness in TKR”. Product-Workshop for Hip Arthroplasty discussing the essential features
- 17-18 Jan 2014 Ranawat Orthopaedic Center ROC Annual Conference, New Delhi. “ Patellar Replacement in Knee Arthroplasty – To Do or Not to DO ?” – Symposium Moderator. “Role of Cement Fixation in Revision TKR” – Speaker . “Hemiarthroplasty in Neck Femur Fractures – Surgical Video”
- 11-13 April, 2014 ISHKS National meet, Pune. Video Demonstration on “How to get LLD, Offset and Neck length right in THR ?”
- 31 0ct -2Nov, 2014 IAACON Madurai, Moderator for Panel Discussion on Difficult knee cases, Panelist for Difficult Hip arthroplasty. Speaker –“TKR -Indian Design for Indian Morphology”
- 26-28 Dec 2014 WIROC , Faculty in Symposium “ Intra-operative Challenges during Primary Hip arthroplasty”- “Uncemented cup Not Fitting well- what to do and Hoe to prevent ?” , Speaker for symposium in “Metabolic issues in Arthroplasty” -“THR in Obese patients”,
- 10-12 April, 2015 ISHKS National Congress, Mumbai. Speaker-“Anterior – Posterior Referencing : It gets Confusing!”, Moderator –“Symposium on Revision THR / TKR”
- 29-30 Aug 2015 ISHKS Mumbai Course, Hinduja Healthcare, Speaker –“Bipolar / THR in Inter-Trochanteric fractures”, “Limb Length Discrepancy after THR”
- 26-29 Dec 2015 WIROC , Speaker “ Arthritis in Dysplastic hips – How do I deal with it” in Symposium on Difficult Hip Solutions. WIROC Symposium on “THR in Difficult Scenarios” -as Moderator. “ THR in previous Excision hip arthroplasty -as Speaker.
- 15-16 Jan 2016 Ranawat Orthopaedic Center ROC Annual Conference, Begaluru. “Correction of FFD in Total Knee Arthroplasty”– Video Demonstration. “ Treatment of Unstable TKR”- Speaker
- 8-10 April, 2016 ISHKS National Congress, Chennai, Speaker –“How I address small Bone size in Indian Females”, Moderator for Symposium on “Strategies to Avoid post operative Dislocation in THR”
- 3 June 2016 ISHKS – KEMH Arthroplasty Course, Mumbai. Speaker-“FFD in TKR, How to Avoid it and How to treat it ?”, “ THR In Inter-Trochanteric fractures.
- 4-6 Nov 2016 IAACON New Delhi, Speaker “ TENT Approach for Difficult Hips”’ “Acetabular Reconstruction in difficult hip revisions”, Moderator for Discussion on “THR Case based Discussions”
- 13-14 Jan 2017 Ranawat Orthopaedic Center ROC Annual Conference, Mumbai. “ Painful and Stiff Knee – in Complications of TKR” -Speaker, “ Surgical Approaches to THR – Symposium Moderation.
- 7-9 April 2017 ISHKS National Congress, Gurgaon New Delhi. Speaker “Trunnionosis What is the evidence?”, Moderator “Controversies in TKR”
- 29-30 April 2017 JSK Live Surgery Course, Jaipur. “THR In Complex Hip”
- 25 June 2017 ISHKS – KEMH Arthroplasty Course, Mumbai. Speaker –“Cementing Technique in TKR”, “Management of Flexion Deformity in TKR”
- 4-6 Aug 2017 OOACON, Bhubaneshwar, Speaker “Soft Tissue Balancing in TKR – The Mid Path way”. “TKR in severe Flexion Deformity”
- 6-8 Oct 2017 EAC-IKSAA meet, Chandigarh. Speaker –“TKR in FFD”, Panel Discussion “DVT Prophylaxis – the Current Thinking”, “Tribology in Arthroplasty – Recent Advances”
- 27-29 Oct 2017 IAACON Kolkata, Speaker “Bearing options in Hips”, “Newer Materials in THR”, Conducted “Fireside Meeting with the Master” a new concept in getting ono-on-one discussion with faculty.
- 18-19 Nov 2017 Aurangabad Orthopaedic Society, Conducted Symposium on THR – Post Approach, Implant Selection, Difficult situations for Hip Arthroplasty, Pain management post arthroplasty. Live Surgery Demeonstration.
- 10-12 Nov 2017 AO RECON Course, Bangalore. Faculty “ Overview of Surgical Approaches in Hip”, “Patellofemoral Resurfacing and Tracking”.
- 1-3 Dec 2017 WIROC , Convener for Symposium “The Perfect TKR – The Way to Do it”, Speaker “TKR in severe FFD”
- 05-06 Jan 2018 Ranawat Orthopaedic Center ROC Annual Conference, Mumbai. “Treatment of Unstable Knee – in Complications of TKA” -Speaker; “Complications of Total hip Aarthroplasty- Symposium Moderator.
- 23-25 Feb 2018 NASHICON , Nashik. Faculty ans Speaker “Status and Augments in TKR – When and How”, “Assessment of Component Placement in THR”
- 04 march 2018 Jupitar Hospital Conference -Speaker “THR in Protrusio Hip for RA ptients”
- 7 April 2018 Bihar Orthopaedic Association Annual meet, Patna. Speaker “Difficult Primary THR – How to make them simple?”, “Unstable TKR – Causes and Management”
- 13-15 April, 2018 ISHKS Ahmadabad, Moderator –“ Hip – Topics of Concern !”, Panelist –“Revision Knee Cases for Discussion”, Speaker -“Obesity and TKR – Is it a matter of concern ?”
- 16-18 Nov 2018 IAACON, Neemrana, Jaipur. Demonstration “In-box Surgery – Standard Posterior Approach to Hip”, Tea With Masters Session “Pre-Op Templating and Hip Implant selection”, Speaker –“Valgus with more than 20 degree deformity”
- 27-30 Nov 2018 IOACON, Coimbtore
- “Severe Varus knee TKR demonstration surgery” – operative Demo, Speaker for following talks in different symposia – “Peri-Prosthetic fractures in THR- How to avoid ?” , “Joint line Restoration in Revision TKR”, “TKR with conventional Jigs is as good !”
- 21-23 Dec 2018 WIROC, Convener for Symposium on “THR in Difficult situations” , Speaker –“THR in excision Hips”
- 22-23 Jan,2019 Ranawat Orthopaedic Center ROC Annual Conference, Delhi. “Anterio-Lateral Approaches to hip in THR”- Speaker, “ Modern Bearing surfaces in Hip Arthroplasty” – Symposium Moderation
- 1-3 March 2019 MOARCON , Nashik. Convener – THR Workshop, Speaker –“Valgus correction Sequence of release”, “How to choose an Implant in THR – Proximal, Distal Coating, Cementing, Non-Cementing”.
- 12-14 April, 2019 ISHKS National Congress , Moderator “Symposium on Bilateral TKR”, Panelist “Failed TKAs -Cases for discussion”, Speaker – “Post Traumatic Knee Arthritis & its Treatment”.
- 20-21 Sept 2019 IAACON, Mumbai. Moderator IAA- ICJR Symposium on “Hot Topics in THR and TKR”, Speaker -“Rotational alignment in TKA – Ehich is the Best way?”
- 22-29 Nov,2019 IOACON Kolkata “Hip Instability – How to Prevent and Tackle it?”- Symposium Moderation.
- 22-23 Nov,2019 Ranawat Orthopaedic Center ROC Annual Conference, Delhi. “Anterio-Lateral Approaches to hip in THR”- Speaker, “ Modern Bearing surfaces in Hip Arthroplasty” – Symposium Moderation
- 20-22 Dec 2019 WIROC , Convener for THR Symposium “Intra-op Complications in THR”, Speaker – “ Video Demonstration of the Technique of Acetabular Reaming”
- 10-11 Jan 2020 ROC (Ranawat Orthopaedic Center )Annual Conference, – Speaker “The Gold Knee”, Panelist “Review of Bearing Surfaces” , Panelist “Primary Knee Arthroplasty”
- 1-2 Feb 2020 HIP HEURISTICS , Mumbai -Course Chairman
- 29 Feb 2020 NASHICON, Speaker – “How to do a non-cemented THR cup?”, “Planning of THR – A Video Demonstration”
2-4 April 2004, Beijing, China. APAS Asia Pacific Arthroplasty meet. Faculty and Speaker for Knee Arthroplasty Symposium.
2-4 June, 2004. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Conducted “First National Arthroplasty Conference in Vietnam” with first of its kind Hands on Worksho with Bone Models.
26-28 May, 2005. Hanoi, Vietnam. Second National Arthroplasty Workshop and Hands on Training in Vietnam. Demo surgeries on Difficult knee and Hip cases.
22-23 July, 2005, Dhaka, Bangladesh. BOSCON, National Annual Conference, Invited Faculty for Knee Arthroplasty workshop.
29-30 June 2006. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Third Vietnam’s Arthroplasty workshop, Bone Model Demo with Live Demo surgeries were conducted as a part of the National Vietnam Orthopaedic Meeting.
29-10 August 2007 Dhaka, Bangladesh. BOSCON. Operative Demonstration of Hip Arthroplasty in Difficult hip case. Workshop for knee arthroplasty.
29 November, 2014 Seol, Korea. Hallym University “Tribology : Science and Practice” – Invited faculty – “Chances and Limitations :Current Scenario of Ceramic Berings in India”
12-13 March 2015 Bangkok, Thailand – International Cadaveric course in Primary and Revision TKR- Siriraj hospital, Bangkok.
23-24, July 2016, Bangkok, Thailand. “South East Asia Complex Primary and Revision Cadaver course” Chula Lab, Bangkok.
April, 2017. Advances in Joint Replacement Surgery – Operative Demonstration and Workshop – Symposium in Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam under the auspices of Vietnam Orthopedic society”
11-14 Dec 2017, 69th Annual International Congress of Egyptian Orthopaedic Association, Cairo, Egypt. Invited Faculty – “TKR in Severe Flexion Deformity”, “ Difficult Primary Hips : THR in Excision Hip”
12-14 Jan 2018 Chula Lab, Bangkok, Thailand. – “ Masterclass – Cadaveric course on Complex Primary TKR and Revision TKR” – DePuy – Synthes Asia Pacific.
29-30 April, 2019. Orthopaedic Assocition of SAARC countries ( OASC) meet, Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Organized a half Day Knee Arthroplasty Symposium and Hands on Workshop with Bone Models.
24-26 May, 2011 Ganga Operative Arthroplasty Course ( Demo of Severe Varus Knee with Medial Tibial Reconstruction ), Panel Discussion on Difficult Knee cases. Speaker “Limb Length Discrepancy in THR”
23-26 May 2013 Ganga Operative Arthroplasty Course. (Demo of Severe Valgus knee with PS TKR, Dysplastic Hip grade 3 migration THR with Acetabular Reconstruction. )
9-12 July 2015 Ganga Operative Arthroplasty Course ( Demo of Valgus Knee TKR and Demo of Severe Protrusio hip in RA Patient for THR ), Speaker –“Stage of trial reduction – What to look for ?”
28-30 July, 2017 Ganga Operative Arthroplasty Corse ( Demo of Primary Non-Cemented THR and Revision TKR using Sleeves and RP-TC3)
26-28 July, 2019 Ganga Operative Arthroplasty Course ( Demo of TKR in Complex Primary Knee severe Valgus and Demo of THR in Protrusio Hip with Non-Cemented cup and Cemented Stem).