Spine Surgery & Back Pain
Our Advanced Spine clinic deals with diagnosis and surgical management of all Adult and Pediatric back pain and spine deformities.
- PD Hinduja Hospital and Medical Research Center,Mahim
- Laud Clinic,Dadar,Mumbai
- Breach Candy Hospital,Mumbai
Chairman, AO Spine Indian Subcontinent
Chairman Education, Association of Spine Surgeons of India
Leatherman Spine Centre, Louisville, USA.
Klinikum Karlsbad (Germany) under Prof. Juergen Harms , one of the worlds leading authorities and pioneers on spinal instrumentation.
After return from the UK , Dr Samir Dalvie worked as Associate Professor at KEM Hospital Bombay Hospital for 10 years with the Spinal Unit managing the entire spectrum of spinal disorders.
He has actively been involved in academic circles , and have been invited as faculty on most national level spinal conferences and workshops in past years.
TRAINING IN INDIA
Dr Samir Dalvie had been working in the Spinal Unit (headed by Dr. V. J. Laheri )of KEM Hospital since 1994, previously as Registrar , as Lecturer since December 1995 and Associate Professor from February 2001 and surgically managed approximately 250 cases per year. I have thus had graded exposure to all the spinal problems presenting to us , resulting in my managing most of the cases independently for the last two years before going to the UK. Problems dealt with include :
- Degenerative : , degenerative Neck& low back problems , including revision surgery .
- Tumours requiring decompression and / or stabilization.(Fellowship in Orthopaedic Oncology from TATA Memorial Hospital
- Spinal trauma/Fractures
- Atlanto-axial pathology.
- Spinal deformity .
TRAINING IN THE UK
Dr Dalvie spent six months as the Liverpool Spine Fellow at The Walton Centre for Neurosurgery with Dr Gordon Findlay learning use of microscope for decompression(Micro-discetomy) and Later at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital with Dr John Dorgan learning spinal deformity correction using both anterior and posterior approaches.
He then subsequently spent one year as a GOS/RNOH Spinal Fellow in London which involved working at two institutes :
- Great Ormond Street Childrens Hospital(tertiary referral centre for all paediatric problems for the whole of Great Britian) Here they dealt with complex spinal deformity in neuro-muscular and syndromic children.
- The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital , Stanmore which was a a tertiary referral centre for entire south of England which dealt with spinal deformity in adults as well as children , spinal tumours ,spine trauma as well as low-back reconstructions.
- ‘ Application of the principles of Ilizarov to the management of Tibial Non-unions.’ Dissertation submitted to the University of Bombay for Master of Surgery.
- ‘Stabilization of Spinal fractures by Pedicular screws and plates.’ Dissertation submitted to the College of Physicians & Surgeons for F.C.P.S.
- Analytical data of the January 1993 Communal Riot Victims : The KEM Experience.
Dalvie SS et al; J Postgrad Med; 1993 , Jan – Mar ; 39(1) : 5 – 9.
- Analytical data of the March 1993 Bombay Bomb-blast Victims : The KEM Experience
Shenoy SG, Pai PR, Dalvie SS; J Postgrad med ; 1993 , Jan – Mar ; 39(1) : 10 – 3.
- Paraplegia due to severe post-tubercular kyphosis with healed disease
Dalvie SS , Laheri VJ , JBJS 80-B (Suppl III ) p. 249
- Clinical Outcome of decompression in post-tubercular kyphosis with healed disease
Dalvie SS , Laheri VJ , JBJS 80-B (Suppl III ) p. 278
- Primary closed intramedullary nailing for lower third Tibial fractures,
Dalvie SS , Katre RN , Badhe NP , Bombay Hosp. Journal Jan 1995
- The Ilizarov Method for Tibial Nonunions.
Dalvie SS . Indian Journal of Clinical Practice , Oct 1995
- Surgery for Myelopathy :
Dalvie SS , Bhojraj SY ; Assoc Phys India Medicine Update 1997.
- C1/C2 rotary subluxation due to spasmodic torticollis
S DALVIE, A P MOORE, and G F FINDLAY J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2000; 69: 135-136.
- Hemothorax and Thoracic Spinal fracture Dalvie SS , Burwell M , Noordeen MHH ., Injury May 2000.
- Anterior Instrumented fusion for thoraco-lumbar kyphosis in Mucopolysaccharidosis. Dalvie SS , Velodi A , Noordeen MHH , in process , Spine
- Mobile Thoracolumbar Gibbus and Morquios Disease. Dalvie SS , Skinner JA , Velodi A , Noordeen MHH . Accepted , Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics (B).
11.Manubriosternal dislocation with spinal fracture: A rare cause for delayed haemothorax. Kothari M, Saini P, Shethna S, Dalvie S. Chin J Traumatol. 2015;18(4):245-8.
- Book Chapter: Shah S, Dalvie S. ‘Congenital Scoliosis’. In, The ASSI Monographs: Early Onset Scoliosis. 1st Edition, Thieme Publication, 2018.
- Shah S, Dalvie S, Rai RR. Outcomes of Microsurgical Decompression in Compressive Thoracic Myelopathy Secondary to Ossification of Ligamentum Flavum. Asian Spine J. 2017; 11(Supp 1): S62.
14. Shah S, Dalvie S. Is Posterior Fixation without Anterior Fusion an Effective Treatment of Andersson Lesion in Ankylosing Spondylitis? Asian Spine J. 2017; 11(Supp 1): S27.
- Shah S, Dalvie S, Rai RR. Congenital malformed posterior arch of atlas with fusion defect: a case of developmental canal stenosis causing cervical myelopathy. J Spine Surg. 2017; 3(3): 489-487.
16. Shah S, Dalvie S (2017) Cysticercosis of the Spine: A Review. Arch Parasitol 1:110.
- Rai RR, Shah S, Deogaonkar K, Dalvie S.: Aggressive vertebral haemangioma causing spinal cord compression; case report and a review of literature. Journal of Orthopaedic case reports 2018 Mar-Apr:8(2): page 33-37.
- Kothari MK, Dalvie SS , Gupta S. Ponticulus Posticus & High Riding Vertebral Artery The C2 Pedicle Width, Pars Length, and Laminar Thickness in Concurrent Ipsilateral Ponticulus Posticus and High-Riding Vertebral Artery: A Radiological Computed Tomography Scan-Based Study : Asian Spine Journal , Dec 2018
Undergraduate Teacher , Bombay University : 9 years
Post Graduate teacher for MS (Orthopsaedics) 5 ½ years
Teacher for Fellowship , National Board of Education ( Spine Surgery) : 6 years
Fellowship Mentor : ASSI Spine Fellowship : 5 years
Platinum Faculty : AO Spine
- ASSICON 2011 , Mumbai (Organising Secretary)
- AO Spine Seminar , Mangalore 2010 (Ed Director)
- AO Spine Principles Course , Mumbai , 2009 (Course Chairman)
- ICS 2008 (Instructional Course in Spine ) , 2008 , Goa (Organising Secretary)
- WIROC 2007 , Mumbai (Organising Secretary)
- BOS Advanced and Basic Spine Courses ( 2004 – 2009)